It was one evening in Dec. that we saw the first flash of lightening and heard the thunder. G said that they were in a drought and needed the rain. We had received some rain a few times before this. By the time B and I went out to the trailer it was pouring with lots of thunder and lightening.
I have never seen lightening storms like we had that night. It was probably around 10:00 when it started. At 2:00 AM it was still going on. I'm use to lightening and thunder at the start of a storm, but not lasting this long. There were some times that it shook not only the trailer, but also the house. Some of the lightening was within a quarter mile of where we were. Bob wondered if the baseball back stop would still be there in the morning; it was. It was still pouring down rain in the morning. A neighbor said that it was four and a fourth inches so far.
I wonder if one of the reasons that the thunder was so intense is that the clouds are much closer to the ground here. Since there are no mountains that force the cloud layer higher, the lightening is also closer.
If you look back at the picture of the ponds you can see that they were not full. By morning the water was going over the top of them. The overflow pipes were air locked. B and G got those going again but were not able to fix them for a few days so it continued to overflow at times.
It rained most of the day, about another three inches. And it rained the next night. By the second morning, when it was still raining, I asked if I should be building and ark. G said that the next time they have a drought in the area he is going to invite us to their place.
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment